Landsborough or Mellum Creek as it was originally known, dates back to the year 1871 when Isaac Burgess selected Portion 1, Parish of Bribie. Burgess erected a slab house with a bark roof on his selection. It became a place of call for Cobb and Co coaches where refreshments and a change of horses were available. Previously Burgess had carried goods through the district by horseback to the Gympie goldfields before settling in the area. Bush tracks were the only trails and all provisions had to be carried by the settlers/pioneers to their settlements.
In the year 1877, Isaac Burgess selected Portion 19, Parish of Bribie. This portion comprised of approximately 250 hectares (572 acres). This property was on the Brisbane side of Mellum Creek (now Landsborough). Burgess erected a two story hotel, a store and a butchers shop. This was then a place of call for Cobb and Co.
In 1878, Issac Burgess selected Portion 98, Parish of Maleny. This was the first application received by the Lands Department in the Maleny district. This made Issac Burgess the first selector in Maleny as well as being the first selector in Mellum Creek (now Landsborough).
William Smith Burgess
William Smith Burgess (Bill) was born at Mellum Creek (now known as Landsborough) on 10 April 1878. He was the only son of Mellum Creek pioneers, Isaac Hudson Burgess and Isabella Landells Petrie. William was a bullock driver by trade and was regarded as an authority on timber. William was engaged in the timber industry for all of his working life. William initially commenced employment with James Campbell and Son, the owners of a sawmill at Campbellville on Coochin Creek.
William served as a Councillor in the Landsborough Shire Council, representing Division 4 from 24 February 1913 to 26 April 1946.
William married Clementina Grigor in Brisbane on 4 June 1902 and the couple settled at Bankfoot House in the Glass House Mountains with Clementina's father, William Grigor. They lived at Bankfoot House for their married life and had four children; Mary Isabella, Janet Elise, William Isaac and Kenneth. William died on 14 July 1946 and Clementina remained at Bankfoot House until her death on 21 December 1963.
Ethel Burgess was born to parents William Isaac Burgess (Bill) and Alice Jean Chalmers (Jean) of Stanmore near Woodford. Ethel's father, William Isaac Burgess, was the third child of William Smith Burgess and Clementina (nee Grigor) of Bankfoot House, Glass House Mountains.
The following video provides a snapshot into one of the pioneering families of the region.
[Length: 5 minutes 30 seconds]