View the outcomes of activities undertaken through the Cultural Heritage Levy
Outcomes of activities undertaken through the Cultural Heritage Levy are reported to council on an annual basis.
Key achievements for 2021-2022 include:
- $20,000 for the inaugural Historian in Residence program, with two research topics: mapping First Nations sites; and sporting history since 1901
- $210,000 for research into regional stories, digitisation of significant regional collections, and engaging our community with heritage through digital stories and online content
- $135,000 invested in the conservation of the region’s heritage assets including State heritage-listed Landsborough Shire Council Chambers (Landsborough Museum), with its collection of over 14,000 objects; and State heritage-listed Bankfoot House, with its nationally significant collection
- $115,000 to support the region’s community museums and historical societies through practical workshops, professional development, community programs, collaborative marketing and events
- $105,000 to support regional heritage programs and events, including the annual Heritage Symposium, Sunshine Coast Open House and the Horizon Festival
- $25,000 to support cultural heritage projects developed in collaboration with Kabi Kabi Peoples, Jinibara Peoples and Descendants of Australian South Sea Islander peoples
- Over $165,000 provided through grants programs to support First Nations groups, community museums and historical societies, and
- Endorsement of the Strategic Policy – Arts and Heritage Levy 2022 in June 2022.
It is important to note that this financial year the Cultural Heritage Collection managed by Council grew significantly with the donation of more than 14,000 objects as part of a new arrangement for the Landsborough Museum. The operation of the museum and its significant collection was accepted by Council at the request of the Landsborough and District Historical Society in November 2021, after the society stated it may be forced to fold due to falling volunteer numbers.
View the Heritage Levy Annual Report 2021-2022 for more detail.
View past annual report Heritage Levy Annual Report 2020-2021[56KB].
Watch the Sunshine Coast Cultural Heritage Discovery video.