Mellum Club Hotel, Cribb Street, Landsborough, 1917. Image credit: Picture Sunshine Coast.
Image
Landsborough Hotel

Built in 1888, the Landsborough Hotel, formerly the Mellum Club Hotel, was the centrepiece of the community and a sanctuary for weary travellers headed for the goldfields in the north.It also welcomed women and children who headed to the Blackall Range and local workers in need of cool refreshments.

In 1914, the proprietor Henry Dyer supervised the hotel being moved from Old Gympie Rd on skids and pulled with winches by bullock teams over a two week period to its present location in Cribb St, where the central business area had developed following the completion of the railway line in 1890.

The extraordinary fact, which is difficult to comprehend, is it was shifted slowly by day and then served thirsty patrons by night.

Perhaps this is from where the advertising slogan "a hard-earned thirst" originated.