Bankfoot House is a state heritage listed property and the oldest surviving residence in the Glass House Mountains.
1998 Old Gympie Road, Glass House Mountains
Bankfoot House is open on the last Sunday of the month from 10.00 am until 3.00 pm, or by appointment. For information or bookings, email email@example.com.
William and Mary Grigor established the house in 1868. Cobb & Co coaches, travelling between Brisbane and the Gympie goldfields, used the property as a lunch stop and staging post. The house was named after Mary’s village in Scotland.
Independent travellers used Bankfoot House as an overnight stop, paying one shilling for dinner, one shilling for a bed and one shilling to feed and stable their horse. Bankfoot House had its own dairy herd and was also the Post Office.
When the railway came in the early 1890s, the mail contract transferred from coach to rail. This made the coach service unviable. The postal service was also relocated to Glasshouse Railway Station. William Grigor was officially recorded as the postmaster up until his death in 1907.
Following the end of the coach service, Bankfoot House continued as an accommodation house. Visitors came to the Glasshouse district to climb the mountains.
The property remained with the same family across three generations. The Grigor, Burgess and Ferris families occupied the house for over 130 years. Members of these families made a huge contribution to the district. They were involved in local industries, community life and local government.
The last resident of Bankfoot House, Jack Ferris, died in 2002 at the age of 101. The Caloundra City Council (as it was then known) purchased the house and contents from the Ferris family in 2004 with a commitment to establishing the property as a House Museum.
You can learn more about the history and significance of Bankfoot House in the Bankfoot House Heritage Precinct Significance Assessment.
Friends of Bankfoot House
New volunteers are always welcome. Volunteers receive training in a range of preservation tasks from the council’s Heritage Officer and from experts in their fields. For example, workshops have been held in paper preservation, textile preservation, digital scanning and oral history recording. All of the skills learned are transferable.
To become a volunteer at Bankfoot House contact Cultural Heritage Services firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 5420 8600.
[Historical images from the Bankfoot House Collection.]