Clementina, standing on the right, at Dicky Beach.
Clementina Burgess: A remarkable life exhibition

Women of Bankfoot House

Clementina was born in 1878, in the newly built extension of Bankfoot House, along with her twin sister Margaret. At home, Clementina helped her mother Mary run Bankfoot House. She continued to do this after the passing of Mary in 1900.

In 1902 Clementina married William Smith Burgess, who joined her at Bankfoot House. The Burgess family inherited the property in 1905. Clementina had four children and was responsible for the extensions and alteration of Bankfoot House in 1930. She passed away in 1963, leaving the property to her son William Isaac Burgess.

View the Memories of Clementina Burgess digital story.

Feedback form.

Find out more about Bankfoot House.